Plaxico Burress Has A Message For Ja Morant

Gun and Football
Guns and Football | Shutterstock

Plaxico Burress Gives Advice to Ja Morant

Plaxico Burress knows a thing or two about what can happen to your career after bringing a gun to a nightclub – so the former NFL wide receiver had some advice for Ja Morant.

Appearing on Fox Sports’ The Carton Show, Burress warned Morant to “Make better decisions,” adding, “He has the opportunity to be the face of the NBA. He’s that great of a player.” Burress spent two years in prison after accidentally shooting himself in the leg with a handgun he brought into a New York nightclub. This incident derailed his NFL career.

Morant is currently serving an indefinite suspension after posting a video displaying a gun inside a nightclub. Will this suspension be the ‘wakeup call’ that Morant needs? Do you remember the Plax incident? Here’s some background information.

The Plaxico Burress Incident

Plaxico Burress was an NFL wide receiver who played for the New York Giants. In 2008, he was involved in a highly publicized incident in which he accidentally shot himself in the leg with an unlicensed handgun that he had been carrying in his waistband at a nightclub in New York City.

Burress entered the Latin Quarter nightclub with teammate Antonio Pierce and a few other friends on November 28, 2008. He was carrying a Glock semi-automatic pistol that he had purchased in Florida. Still, he had no license to carry it in New York. As a result, the gun accidentally discharged, and Burress suffered a gunshot wound to his right thigh.

After the incident, Burress was taken to the hospital for treatment, and the police were notified. He was later arrested and charged with two counts of criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree, a felony in New York. He faced a mandatory minimum sentence of 3.5 years in prison if convicted.

Burress eventually pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of attempted criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree and was sentenced to two years in prison. However, he was released in 2011 after serving nearly 21 months of his sentence.

The incident had a significant impact on Burress’s career. He was suspended by the NFL for the remainder of the 2008 season and was released by the Giants in April 2009. He eventually signed with the New York Jets in 2011, but his career never fully recovered from the incident.

Read more from 960 Sports.

To Top