Most of us have at least at one time in our lives sold our used car in favor of something newer or better. But how do you know when is the best time to sell your car? Also is there a specific time in a cars life when it’s best to sell it? Well let’s take a look at when you should sell your car.
1. Do not wait until your car breaks down or starts to have problems.
The reality is most of us are guilty of this because it’s not until we see problems that we start to consider getting something else. But you will end up paying big bucks to repair and is usually a sign other items are about to break. The trick is when one major item breaks, you fix it and then move onto a new car because more problems are just about to follow.
2. 10 years old is the perfect age to move onto something else.
For example if your car is between 90,000 – 100,000 miles or was new in 2006 and it’s now 2016 then time to move on. This is the perfect amount of age for a car still to have. Most rust has yet to set in, and interiors are just a simple detail away from looking new. But the steep decline in value begins now. Waiting even one or two more years will result in thousands of dollars in lost value. Also the last thing you need is a blown transmission or a seized push rod in the engine to devastate that value.
3. Sell it before you buy your new one.
It’s very tempting to just give it to the dealership in trade. The reality is dealerships love trade ins because they don’t have to pay taxes on it because it’s a trade and they can flip it for a lot more money than they paid you for it. I’m a huge proponent of selling it yourself and apply that money to the down payment of a car. Below I will put a few tips to make that super easy.
- Get your car detailed. This costs about $100 dollars but will make your car looks $1000 better.
- Post your car on KSL.com classifieds. The truth is there currently is no better classifieds for selling a car in the state of Utah and surrounding areas.
- Get your car BlueStar Certified. By simply taking it and getting the BlueStar inspection you can shut down any hagglers looking to convince you your car is worth less then you are selling. It also gives the buyer plenty of security in the purchase making for a comfortable and quick transaction. Here is a video that explains it a little better.