Perfect first half 3-point shooting from Waterman leads BYU past Missouri State

Noah Waterman raises his arm after he hits his 5th 3-pointer against Missouri State Photo Courtesy BYU Men's Basketball/BYU Athletics

Provo, UT –

Noah Waterman has been trying to find his role coming off the bench so far this season.

The Junior transfer from Savannah New York averaged 45% from 3-point range in his career at Detroit before coming to BYU, but hasn’t shot the ball well to start his Junior season.

All of that changed Wednesday night as Waterman looked to emerge as that go-to guy off the bench.The Detroit Mercy transfer forward had a hot shooting night. Waterman was 5-of-6 from 3-pointer range as BYU (2-1) defeated Missouri State (1-1) 66-64 on Wednesday night at the Marriott Center.

“It felt really good, especially because the past couple of games I was a little frustrated with my shot. I was 0% percent in the last two games. Coming into this game I was really getting extra shots in after practice just to clear my mind and not really worry about those games; and it paid off “ was what Waterman said in the postgame interview to what could be called his “breakout” performance.

Waterman led all BYU scores with 15 points on 83% shooting and added two rebounds.

Spencer Johnson finished the game with 10 points to go along with four. Johnson finished the game 4-of-7 from the field on 57% shooting as the second leader scorer for BYU.

Unfortunately, the turnovers for the Cougars were still an issue as Missouri State had six points off four BYU turnovers in the first five minutes of the game. The Cougars had 10 first half turnovers but finished the game with 13, only turning it over three times in the second half.

Even with the turnovers cut down Missouri State kept it a close game. Sophomore point guard Chance Moore led his team, and all scores, with 10 points in the first half. Moore led the Bears to a 23-18 lead, which was their largest of the game.

Moore finished the game with a double-double recording 18 points and 11 rebounds on 46% shooting from the field.

Both teams fought back and forth as seven lead changes occurred in the last five minutes of the game.

Alston Mason tied the game for Missouri State with 7.2 seconds left to play. This allowed BYU to potentially take the final shot as Head Coach Mark Pope called timeout.

With 7.2 seconds left where would BYU turn to.

The game winning shot came from Freshman Dallin Hall with 1.5 seconds left to play in regulation. Hall finished with 6 points and four rebounds. Hall missed all of his shot attempts, but the last one was the most important as the Freshman from Plain City, Utah took the ball 86 feet to clinch the win for the Cougars.

With Wednesday night’s win BYU has now won 10 straight non-conference at the Marriott Center.

The Cougars next will host Nicholls State Saturday November 18th at the Marriott Center. Tip is scheduled for 7pm MST. The game will be live on BYUtv


Postgame Interview:


If you love our content, please support our sponsors. We can’t produce our show and articles without our sponsors. They are also an official sponsor of the BYU football team. This article is brought to you by Bucked Up, Use the “Criddle20” coupon code for 20% off your order.

To Top